Monday, September 21, 2009

The Gifts of God

Recently, Oprah Winfrey opened her 24th season on Television with an interview of Whitney Houston.  It was the first interview Whitney had granted in the last seven years.  She said she granted it because she felt so comfortable with Oprah; and it showed in her answers to Oprah's questions.

At one point Oprah asked if Whitney knew that she was often referred to as:
"THE VOICE" OR "THE TREASURE."
And at that very moment I heard within myself :  "Yes! And the GIFT."


Romans 11-29 For the gifts and the calling of God are not repented of.

I know a few things about the gifts of God.
I searched the scriptures at length over the last twenty-five years, discussed it in depth with the others in our Bible study group and believed I understood the topic as well as most scholars. That was a long time ago...now, I'm not so sure.


I wonder...just how many well known performers have been given a gift, used it in church till it was polished and perfected and then, when the draw of the world blinded them with its bright lights and promise of fame and riches such as they had never know before, succumbed to the temptation, moving farther and farther from that calling and purpose said gift was intended?

Whitney admitted that she was given such a gift but left God's house of worship, believing that she was moving in the direction He wanted her to go at first and only too late did she realize the truth.

Whitney is not alone. Her mistake has been made by many.  All of them paid a heavy price and some learned their lesson much too late; then again, some remained faithful, stayed within the church and continued to work as they were led.



Salvation may come in the blink of an eye after one repents and asks God for forgiveness of their sins but becoming mature in Christ is an on-going process.  I'm not sure if it's ever complete so long as we live. What I do know for sure is...there can come a time when one feels as if they are losing that connection with God's Spirit.  I think that's because I recall King David pleading with God one day, not to take His Spirit from him. He believed it could happen because of the various means he had found to fail God and sin against Him.

I'm not spreading roomers here.  I'm just sharing some personal insights that all my Bible study efforts have formed in my aging brain.

I'd be glad to hear what opinions some of you have on the topic.  I've heard what Whitney and Oprah have to say and it was all pretty good.  I enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got an opinion? Share it. I love feedback. How else can I improve?