Saturday, December 12, 2009

Looking out through a broken Windows7 aftermath

12/12/2009 7:50 AM

I had read a little about this new Windows7 software I was waiting on. Chuck Sigars said his upgrade was working well, so that placed my mind at a little more ease. I wish I could say the same...NOW!

I purchased this computer back in June of this year. It came with the promise of a FREE upgrade as soon as it was released. The expected release date was Oct 22, 2009. I made my application for said FREE up grade a day or two after that date. My package of disks and instructions finally arrive on Dec 7th. I should have seen that infamous date as a sign of impending disaster but I have always been naive.
I'm so glad I managed to get those gift DVDs created that I was giving for Christmas before I began the up grade.

I followed the giant sheet of step-by-step instructions more carefully than I've ever followed any other instructions before. It didn't matter. When I was through, I had a full-blown computer disaster on my hands. There was nothing I could do but take it back to the Geek Squad at Best Buy. They promised me results; results I paid in full for before I left the store. Two days later they called with an apology about not being able to retrieve my personal information. They said all the files had been totally corrupted. "Corrupted!" Corrupted by what? I did get a refund of charges for the failed recovery of my personal information. I'd rather they kept the money and fulfilled the recovery.


It took me a few years to realize the value of backed-up computer files. I am also thankful for the fact that my sister-in-law is currently using my old computer...the one with all my user info still intact. I'm also glad that I thought to purchase one of those small, Flash-drives. It sure came in handy as I manually restored all my document files and music.


I need to use this Windows7 software up grade a while longer before I can pass judgment on whether it was worth all the trouble and expense I've experienced. Geek Squads don't work for peanuts.


I'm very glad to be back in the blogosphere's polluted atmosphere adding to the contaminates.This is a very abridged version of all I've thought and said over the last few days related to Microsoft. I'm sure you don't want to be bored for that long, so I spared you. Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back, sorry for your trouble. I've heard that clean installs were preferable to upgrades (I had just recently restored my factory image, so even though I upgraded it was a pretty clean hard drive), although you would have ended up doing what you're doing now, reinstalling all of your files and software. Although without the Geek stop.

    It took me years to finally understand that backups meant that even catastrophe was going to be only a minor inconvenience, a few hours of reinstalling. Not sure I sleep better but I like knowing everything is saved. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Share it. I love feedback. How else can I improve?