Thursday, January 14, 2010

better than “Dances with Wolves”

I believe I saw Dances with Wolves the year it came out. That was in 1990.  For ten years, if anyone should ask me, “What is your favorite movie” my automatic answer was Dances with Wolves.  For most of those years, I had to watch it about every six months. I referred to that habit as “Getting my fix.” I began with a copy on VHS tape, fearing I could wear it out. To insure that wouldn’t happen, when it came out on DVD, I purchased a copy. Now we are up to Blue-Ray and I just know that it won’t be long before I’m two steps behind home viewing technology advances and in danger of being left in the dust with no way to sate my habit. However, now and then, it is broadcast on one of our cable channels. I felt better about the future.

Today, Maureen and I went to the Super-Deluxe cinema over at the Florence Mall to see “AVATAR” for FREE, thanks to our thoughtful, loving daughter.

Believe me when I tell you that I sat down at the computer to write what passes for a movie review for me, fearful that I might run out of words while trying to describe it to you.  The old saying goes “don’t look behind you because that which you fear the most may be gaining on you,” and it was but this time, it caught me.  Now, I don’t even know how to begin.

I honestly feel that you will come to regret it if you do not go to a modern theater to see it as it was intended to be viewed. We laughed at one point and cried a bit at another. That was a shock to me, for I certainly wasn’t prepared for that emotion.  Most of the time we just sat there…awe struck and in a state of wonder over the fact that any number of professional movie makers were capable of producing such a spectacle.

We left the theater and once we had gotten into the little truck, we just sat there for a time repeating to one another…”Have you ever enjoyed any other movie that much before?  Wasn’t it amazing?  What about this part and what about that part?. etc.”

I started the little truck and got it headed in the general direction of our home but the conversation didn’t cease or even lag a little.  It just seemed to gush out of us.

It finally did stop but that only lasted until we reached home and started telling Gail what she had missed.

On a scale of one to ten, it was a 15. That’s my opinion and I believe Maureen would agree with me.

Don’t wait!  If you have any interest at all in this kind of movie…GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got an opinion? Share it. I love feedback. How else can I improve?