Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The evolution of me

Every time I start looking back at my past….I run into a parked car.

I don’t remember where I came across that little gem but it got stuck in my head and I thought I might as well use it. For some reason I just like what it says to me.

Is life best lived by having hands on the wheel at ten and two o’clock, being totally focused and aware of what is ahead a considerable distance and moving forward at a safe speed? That’s not how I drive most of the time, so why would I believe it is a good way to live life?

I have a windshield and three mirrors to use. My eyes are constantly moving from one to the other and back again. I must be mindful of what is behind me, what is in front of me and what is on either side of me as I move along. I’m not the only one out here on the road of life. I must consider what others are doing too or there is going to be a collision.

Today I spend the majority of my time in the slow lane. In my opinion that is the most dangerous place a person can be. There always seems to be someone else who is traveling along slower than me just ahead or there are those who are speeding down an on-ramp wanting to merge with the flow of traffic. Then, there are those who want to get off at the next exit and have waited just a bit too long to move over into my lane. All of those things cause me to need to adjust my forward progress.

For fifty-six years I traveled along in the fast lane. I was content to move along with the flow of traffic. Then I tried the middle of the road and for a time that was where I stayed. I had the option of moving either left or right as the situations changed just ahead. It was a comfortable place to be.

Today I sit on a wide shoulder along the road and watch as everyone else passes me by going to God only knows where. The windows are down, I’m sipping a hot cup of coffee from a plastic cup and there are good tunes coming from the speakers. When rush hour is over I will make my way back to the house and park in the garage. I will sit in the cool darkness and think about where I’ve been and what I accomplished.

It’s so good to be out of the rat race.

Eons ago I formed in the primordial ooze, a single cell at first and then I divided and began to grow into something new, something that had never existed before. After all this time I find that I am destined to return to where I began, become a single cell once more and slide back into the ooze from whence I came.

These words are a metaphor that represent something, but I’m not sure exactly what.

Can you see anything of value in them? Explain it to me…..Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got an opinion? Share it. I love feedback. How else can I improve?