Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pleasantly Surprised

is what I was after a recent turn of events. I explain:

Certain dogs are prone to ear infections.

Solution:  Keep them as clean as possible.

How does one do that?

Answer:  Use some kind of ear wash. What kind to use is one of those choices dog owners get to make on their own or with the help of another.

I tried that. It worked for a few years and then stopped working for Jenny.

Searched out another type of ear wash.

DermaPet MalAcetic Otic 16 oz is what I decided on.

It worked and Jenny seemed to like it better.

Did you know that dogs can get ringworm? Well! The experts say they can.

How is it treated? Lord Honey, don’t go there unless you want to become too worried about catching it yourself to sleep peacefully at night.

I’ve learned a few things about fungal infections of the skin over the years. Wash the affected area and pat dry. Apply some kind of anti-fungal cream or ointment. REPEAT as often as needed to clear it up. That’s pretty basic medicine right there.
OR you might try what one, old, country Doctor told me to do about pityriasis. Which is:

Any of various skin diseases of humans and animals, characterized by epidermal shedding of flaky scales.

He said “Get you a bottle of vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar is best and have a container of talcum powder ready.  Remove all your clothes, get into a bathtub or large washtub tub and begin to apply the vinegar to all your body surfaces, soaking it well or until the vinegar runs out, whichever comes first. Allow the vinegar to dry.
Then, apply the talcum power liberally over all the same surfaces. Get dressed and go about your normal business.”
I smelled like a large pickle for a while whose odor was being disguised by a layer of talcum powder.

You know what?

It worked like a charm. One application and the rash that resembled ringworm disappeared.

Vinegar is simply: 
  An impure dilute solution of acetic acid obtained by fermentation beyond the alcohol stage and used as a condiment and preservative.

Notice that part of the name of the ear wash I decided upon is also “acetic”.

Turns out, certain fungi requires a perfect Ph condition in which to thrive. Applying vinegar (acetic acid) causes skin Ph to become very acidic. Talcum powder is very alkaline. Switching from one to the other suddenly has the affect of killing certain fungi, making it go away.  

One day recently, I noticed some red rings on Jenny’s bare belly.  Later I also found a patch of very red, angry looking skin under her left front leg. On humans that would be an arm pit. Jenny doesn’t shave her arm pits so that made it very difficult to treat it properly. I decided to trim her hair as short as I might risk during cold weather and then trimmed all the hair out from her left leg-pit.  I tried cleaning it with that same ear wash because it was touted as a very good skin cleanser also. Her hair being shorter all over her body allowed me to inspect it for other outbreaks. I found three in all. One near her tail, just above and to the right of the rectum. I knew that area looked strange when I took her for a walk and let her walk me instead of the other way around. Most of the hair had fallen out due to the fungus infection. Then there was the belly spots and the large area in her leg pit.

I tried cleaning the areas and using some anti-fungal cream. That didn’t seem to be doing much after a day or two.  So…I decided to use the old Doctor’s method.

A couple times a day I would dampen some baby wipes with that ear wash, clean all the areas very well and wait for them dry somewhat. Then I would dash on some baby powder and rub it in. 

In a matter of one week, all the infected areas look GREAT.  I still keep an eye on her just in case it should break out somewhere else. So far…So good!
Just thought I’d pass it along – FYI.

Also, I purchased three more bottles of that same ear wash just to keep around. I still use it as ear wash but you never know what might crop up. Dogs are funny that way. The price was right - $11.00 a bottle on sale.

DermaPet MalAcetic Otic 16 oz can be purchased through Amazon.Com should you desire to get some yourself. I can’t guarantee you what the price will be then but it’s worth whatever they charge.

I guess you can consider this post as a testimony of a good kind. For what it is worth.

Also, I will add that I took one of the 16 oz bottles, poured it into a plastic container with a resealable lid and periodically, I will give Jenny a good foot-washing in an attempt to ease this problem she has with some kind of bacteria invading the softer tissue behind her paw pads and between her toes. It does seem to be helping that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got an opinion? Share it. I love feedback. How else can I improve?