Monday, January 4, 2010

Redeeming the time – NOT

Is anyone else as confused about our calendar as I am about spelling it correctly?  So help me, it took three tries before I got it right.

I suppose Bible study was how I first became aware of how screwed up we have gotten our method of tracking time. Before that, grade school history class kept me guessing as to what century I was living in at the time.

The problem really came home for me this morning as I watched Sunday Morning’s news program our DVR had recorded for us yesterday. They spoke of detailing all that had transpired during this first decade of the 21st Century. I had to count the passing years since New Year’s Day 2000 to fully comprehend that the first decade of the 21st Century had been accomplished at the end of 2009. 

I suppose that fact alone indicates that I’m kind of dense and not really with it. Besides, math has never been my strongest subject.

I have a similar problem when I attempt to calculate someone’s age. My own age is easy. I was born in l940, so on my birthday of 1950 I was ten years old. Are you following me here?  I know…it’s no problem for most of you out there.

Visiting the graveyard on Memorial Day and attempting to translate the age one died at as indicated by the dates on the headstone is difficult and often embarrassing should I verbally state the results of my mental math to someone else present there with me when they correct me either plus or minus the number I had arrived at.

So, would someone please reassure me that I am correct when I cautiously state: “Even though the date is January 4th, 2010, we are actually four days into the eleventh year of the twenty-first century?”

Well…Will you?     

3 comments:

  1. I am clueless too, so I can't reassure you. I always liked that I was born in 1940, though, because it was always easy to figure out my age at any time in my history. Does that make any sense?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well..I guess technically we're not, since technically the 21st century began on Jan. 1, 2001 (since there was no Year Zero). But if confirmation is what you're looking for, it's been 10 years since we saw the calendar click over to 2000.

    Mostly, though, I think this decade business has more to do with our tendency to try to pinpoint eras by decade -- so we talk about the 30s, the 50s, the 60s, etc. So whatever these past 10 years will be called (probably nothing), that's the mindset that wants to make everything neat and tidy. My best guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenju:
    I said I was born in 1940 in this entry. What you said makes perfect sense to me. Thanks

    ________________________________________________

    Chuck:
    Thanks - but still...you managed to confuse me even more. "Well..I guess technically we're not, since technically the 21st century began on Jan. 1, 2001 (since there was no Year Zero)."
    So...You're saying I got the decade part right but not the 21st Century? No further response necessary...I'll just live with what I've got.

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Share it. I love feedback. How else can I improve?