Saturday, January 9, 2010

Spirit Vs Ghost: Whose right and what’s wrong?

 

Most of those who visit any of my blogs today may not know or even be interested in my past experiences. That’s fine!  It’s no big thing. But…this is my blog and I will write what I want to post here.  Today I will be drawing from a life time of learning about RELIGION.

In the eyes of those who knew me as a Brother in Christ and fellowshipped with me for all those years I attended church services at any number of Pentecostal Churches, they could and might say that I am “Backslidden.”  That word is not in my vocabulary today.  I have used it in the past because it was a well accepted term used and understood clearly by other Pentecostals.  I typed it; then looked at it and immediately questioned if I had spelled it correctly. I’m still not sure. What I am sure of is what the expression means to me.  If you are “Backslidden” you are not where you once were in your relationship with Jesus Christ.  OK! That’s me. I confess and admit it.

In my past life, I invested over 14 years in studying the Bible, in all of its many translations.  The King James Version was my 1st choice. It’s the version I’ve heard preached and quoted from for all these years.  I most readily relate to it.  It’s more poetic sounding somehow.  My ear is attuned to it.  Whenever I recall a verse of scripture, it is the form I see and hear in my mind’s eye and ears. It simply feels right to me. That is the form the scriptures take when The Holy Ghost brings it to my remembrance. 

Question: Is a person really backslidden if the Holy Ghost still communicates with them?  I mean, some Pentecostals will have one going directly to hell when they die, Do not pass GO!  Do not collect $200.00.  And yet, it appears that The Holy Ghost is still with them!  How can it be true?

Please see this list of what one should do to keep from backsliding if you believe you might be doing so.

Studying the scriptures may well enlighten one.  It may also cause one to have more questions than they have answers for.

See the title of this post.

That is one of the areas I’ve never gotten straight in my thinking.

Here’s some data for you:

In the KJV of the Bible, the words “Holy Ghost” appear 89 times but not once in the OT.

In the KJV of the Bible, the words “Holy Spirit” appear 3 times in the OT and 4 times in the NT.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve sat and wondered why it is that at ever opportunity, people will substitute “Holy Spirit” for “Holy Ghost” even while they are in the process of reading it directly from the scriptures?

Why is that?

To this poor backslidden man, it seems that mankind couldn’t wait to change Ghost for Spirit in the first translation to come after the KJV. Could it be that those people have discovered that the men who translated the Bible for King James made and error and translated the Hebrew or Greek original scriptures incorrectly?

The following verses are from the BibleGateway.com.  You may be familiar with them.  In them, Jesus says that if you desire anything and ask it in “His Name”, either he or The Father will or may give it to you.  I couldn’t pin it down to any exact quote using these references.

  • John 14:13
    And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
    John 14:12-14 (in Context) John 14 (Whole Chapter)

  • John 14:14
    If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
    John 14:13-15 (in Context) John 14 (Whole Chapter)

  • John 14:26
    But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
    John 14:25-27 (in Context) John 14 (Whole Chapter)

  • John 15:16
    Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
    John 15:15-17 (in Context) John 15 (Whole Chapter)

  • John 16:23
    And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
    John 16:22-24 (in Context) John 16 (Whole Chapter)

     

    The reason I included the above scriptural references is so I could ask this hypothetical question”

    Could it be that the reason some certain people have never received The Holy Ghost is because they have been asking for the Holy Spirit instead of the Holy Ghost in Jesus’ name?

    Just asking!

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Got an opinion? Share it. I love feedback. How else can I improve?