Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A weather related rant

A little over a year ago, Maureen and I purchased two 32 inch flat-screen LED Televisions that cost us over $600.00 each. Only today, as we sat watching Monday night's episode of 24, I was greatly distracted by the two inch high band of blue color that extended completely across the width of the television screen. The purpose of that band was to convey information concerning the horrid weather we've been having and it affect on the local activities such as school delays and closings, etc. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Our cable TV stations can't be that different from any others around the country.

I would rather that I hadn't been so distracted by its presence, because the more I thought about it, the more angry I became. Is that band what I've heard a few others describing as a "Crawler?" Well, it can craw its intruding little self right out of my life. I pay for a 32 inch, high definition image on my TV and I demand my monies worth. I'm sick of it. If things keep going this way, before we know it we will be viewing our programs in a space that resembles a washcloth in area. It can't be escaped even when one utilizes a DVR recorder. There's no fast-forwarding though that thing.

While I'm on the subject of television and the weather; what is it about the Chief Meteorologist on a station's broadcast? Aren't they simply too full of themselves?
Has anyone else noticed that maniacal little smirk they have on their faces as they tell us about the "Stormageden" headed our way. They act as if they actually believe all those educated guesses they continually bombard us with whenever our weather turns awful. They have millions of dollars worth of sophisticated equipment they use to interpret the information pouring into their gathering equipment, usually a larger and faster than normal, computer array that produced charts and models that represent what's headed our way and it's never good news. They act like they love it; being center stage, holding us as captive audiences and assaulting our ears and eyes with detestable images of weather related disasters, mumbling under their breathes something about "Surely the end of the world is at hand." I believe they spent considerable time in drama school before getting their current jobs.

Turn on your television early in the morning and you're going to get weather and traffic within the first five minutes and it will be repeated every ten minutes after that. Road conditions and school delays and most business closings mean very little to me. I have several "weather-rocks" that serve me better than those clowns.

Have you ever noticed that when it's this cold and nasty, the weather person is always promising us a "warming trend" or "improving conditions" that are always seven days in the distance and then ... as we slowly approach that day, their details, such as the amount of sunshine we can expect and temperature increases always diminish? They appear to use it like a carrot on a stick, always dangling out there in front of our noses but never being obtainable. It must be a ploy of some kind but for the life of me, I can't figure out what they've got to gain from it.

I'm done now. Sorry! I couldn't help it. I either had to rant or explode and you don't want to witness a sight such as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got an opinion? Share it. I love feedback. How else can I improve?