Thursday, March 18, 2010

Giant Tree Tomato Seedlings

SDC10617
Here you see two trays of Giant Tree Tomato Seedlings that I grew from seeds I saved last fall.  It was my first experience at saving my own seeds.  Who knew if I was doing it correctly?  I watched a video or two about the process and went from there. I stored the seeds in the snack drawer of my refrigerator. They stayed there all winter long.  That supposedly simulates the winter season without putting the seeds through the actual experience and exposing them to any number of natural dangers wild seeds are prone to being eaten by.

I didn’t have any idea how good a job I did for a beginner.  Let’s say I didn’t have a lot of faith in my efforts … so, when it came time to plant them I added two or three seeds to each compartment, thinking that at least one of them might make it.  How wrong I was. Everyone of those seeds sprouted and are now in the maturing process … whatever that entails. I’m learning as I go.

What I do know is that if I got only one viable tomato set from each one of the compartments in the planters I used, I would end up with 108 tomato plants. I believe I can use perhaps ten of them in my garden. Now, what am I going to do with the rest?   I will give many of them away to those friends I think will want them. That should leave me with around 50 or so.

I paid $10.00 for six seed containers last year. It was late when I received them in the mail.  I watered them and set them out on the patio table under a clear glass cake dish cover.  They came up.  I waited a while and stuck them in the ground over by my fence where I once had a large rose bush. They amazed me!  If I plant ten vines and they do as well as I expect, I should be able to eat tomatoes until New Year’s Day 2012. Of course, I’ll have to do some canning to accomplish it.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got an opinion? Share it. I love feedback. How else can I improve?