Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What's in a name or the way it is spelled?

I've been threatening to write something about this topic for a long time now.
The opportunities have been many but today appears to be the day.

PHONICS: A method of teaching elementary reading and spelling based on the phonetic interpretation of ordinary spelling.

Ordinary spelling. Is that the problem responsible here?
The family name "FAVRE" must not be ordinary in spelling or anything else.
Is the name a tongue twister? Do most sports announcers have difficulty wrapping their tongue around that VR combination and thus have taken the easy way out and simply started pronouncing it as if it were spelled "FARVE?"

That's the only explanation I have been able to come up with.
Perhaps it's a Cajun thing; a French Canadian thing or some other aspect of the French language that I am not familiar with. Whatever the reason, I am fed-up with it.

The name is pronounced "FAV-RA" not "FARVE."

It's Brett Fav-Ra not Brett Farve. Either that or he needs to change the way he spells his last name.

Perhaps another Cajun can make me understand why people are pronouncing it that way.
I'm willing to learn something new. Please help me understand.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got an opinion? Share it. I love feedback. How else can I improve?