Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bathroom makeover



















































It all began innocently enough. We went to an annual Church auction where we spotted this beautiful vanity; bid on it and it was ours. It seemed to be one of those "predestined events" one comes across during their lifetime because once we bid $200.00 on an item that was valued at over $300.00, no one bid against us. Then we discovered that it fit in the back of our 2003 Rav-4 Utility vehicle. Now, how often does that happen?

Oh how I wish we had taken pictures of the way our bathroom looked before we began the remodel. I would have posted before and after images and you could toggle back and forth to appreciate the difference.

Anyway, the project took on a life of its own and it rolled itself into a tight tuck and began to roll downhill like a horrible avalanche. I lost track of the trips we made to Lowes Home improvement store but it wasn't long and the employees began to recognize us on sight and came running, knowing that we were going to need some help no matter what it was we came to purchase. Being totally honest, I sort of enjoyed our interactions with Lowes. They were so helpful and cheery, laughing at my pitiful jokes and adding a few of their own once they got accustomed to my demeanor and outgoing personality.

I knew I was going to be tested the moment I removed the medicine cabinet from the wall. I have never been afraid of a good challenge but I have always been stupid that way. Call it over confidence if you'd like; I don't really care.

I'm not even sure exactly how many days or weeks passed before the project was done. I walked around in a stupor of a kind, a million thoughts flooding my mind and keeping me from thinking carefully about the sequence of steps required to complete the task. In other words I simply blundered by way through to the end.

During this project, I managed to accomplish some feats calling for a skill level not even I knew I possessed. One of those feats demanded that I purchase a very special, close quarters nail driver. Sears had them on sale, so once again I was thinking that someone up there really, really likes me. I'm not afraid to pray for divine intervention when the situation calls for it. I did have to resort to paying someone to lay the tile floor. I did all the work I could, like cutting and installing the "backer board" that supports the thin-set and the tiles. When I was ready, Zeke brought over his wet-saw and all his experience and knocked out the floor in no time. We waited the required time before we cleaned the tiles of excess grout, then waited some more for the whole thing to cure. The next day we began the sealing process. It was difficult but well worth the effort. Our bathroom looks and performs better than when it was new. We are so happy with it, sometimes I just sit there and admire my surroundings. Now don't try to imagine that picture I just painted in your mind. It could have lasting negative affects.

Thanks for your time and attention.










1 comment:

  1. I'm completely envious about the vanity, and lusting over that tile; man, that looks fabulous, Clarence. I humbly bow in your home improvement direction. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Share it. I love feedback. How else can I improve?