Sunday, November 21, 2010

Be thankful - - - It's for your own good

Another long day on the job is over, and after fighting your way home through stop and start traffic, all you really want to do is get something to eat, perhaps take a nice, refreshing shower and turn into your alter-ego "Couch-Potato Man".

Perhaps you are into the evening news or a short browse through the daily sports section of the local newspaper. Regardless of what your daily ritual is composed of, if you watch TV at all, eventually, you will be exposed to one of those heart-rending scenes of starving men, women, and children in some remote area of the world. If you are anything like myself, your response is to reach for the remote control, get deeper into the folds of your paper, shutting out all reception of the narrator's voice, or perhaps you are tempted to just get up and leave the room.

I don't think too much of myself when I get like that. Except for the Grace of God, there go I. I do have compassion for those people, but being realistic, what can I do about it? There are only so many charitable contributions possible before the welfare of your family is affected.

Let's face it, we take our own good fortune for granted too often. This Thanksgiving, if you are fortunate enough to be able to sit down at a table which is overflowing with a bountiful feast and one which is surrounded by family and friends, please take the time to reflect upon all you have to be thankful for and express yourself in someway. If you have a God you believe in, give Him, Her or them an expression of Thanksgiving; if not, express your appreciation to your wife, or husband, or children, or just some loyal friend who has enriched your life in someway.

If present circumstances find you in such a condition that you can find little or nothing to be thankful for, I will be thinking of you as I give thanks this year and pray that your circumstances improve quickly.


Clarence Bowles
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got an opinion? Share it. I love feedback. How else can I improve?